Thursday, February 14, 2013

V Day a New Way


Happy Valentine's friends! I am not a big valentine's person; however, I admit if the husband showed up empty handed or didn't acknowledge the day I might pitch a big ole crybaby fit.

But seriously why is it we expect flowers, kindness, appreciation, and love- even a gift on a random date of the year? Shouldn't everyday be a day about love & appreciation?

If I weren't preggos our night would look a little something like this...


 


But let's get real, it is going to look more like this...


 



I did start a new tradition in our house last night. I decided to make the day before Valentine's a day for John. I made him waffles and fruit for breakfast and he came home from work to a cooked dinner and homemade dessert. Now I know for some of you this is a normal thing, but I haven't cooked dinner in probably 6 weeks. I know, it's really pathetic. It's just not my thing. John is a much better cook and he really enjoys it. And yes I'm aware, I've got it made.

I'm doting my spread with you because the dessert recipe is worth sharing.




Dessert recipe found here at Gina's Skinny Recipe Blog

  • 1-3/4 cups challah bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes {grocery didn't have challah so I used sweet italian)
  • 2/3 cup 1% reduced-fat milk  {I used fat free milk on hand}
  • 2  tbsp sugar
  • 1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • cooking spray
  • 1 oz dark chocolate, coarsely chopped (Green & Black's 70% dark)  {I used toll house brand}
  • 2  tbsp fat-free whipped topping  {Used ice cream instead}

Preheat oven to 350°.

Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 5 minutes or until toasted. Remove bread from oven; decrease oven temperature to 325°.

Combine milk and next 5 ingredients (milk through egg) in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add bread, tossing gently to coat. Cover and chill 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.

Divide half of bread mixture evenly between 2 ramekins coated with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with half of chocolate. Divide remaining bread mixture between ramekins; top with remaining chocolate.

Place ramekins in an 8-inch square baking pan; add 1 inch of hot water to pan. Bake at 325° for 35 minutes or until set. Serve warm with 1 tablespoon whipped topping or we used Vanilla Ice Cream.

                                 *****************************************

My kind of recipe, easy & quick. It is worth mentioning how rich it is. If you're not a huge chocolate person, I would cut out the middle dark chocolate morsels and only use on top. Also, the ice cream was a nice added touch. Don't pass it up!

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment