Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Guest Blogger: Bradley's Boxwoods

Today is a special day. We have a Guest Blogger. Exciting Right?!

Introducing a talented friend & loyal reader -Bradley, banker by pay but blog reader & lover of all design by day. woah, did i just say that?

She just built a fancy house and now gave her green thumb a go.

Without further a do:

LTK readers…

Do you lie awake at night wondering what to plant in your front porch pots? Neither do I! Yesterday was my first time to plant anything, ever. Because it was so very easy, I want to share.

MISSION: I was inspired to warm up my front porch with potted plants to make it more inviting. Also, I was feeling guilty that the pots I received for Christmas were still sitting empty.

My mother-in-law, Lindsey, is a master gardener, so when I mentioned using fake plants (I’m aware it’s tacky) - she immediately offered to help.

We started with 2 lonely pots…



Your pots should be at least as tall and as wide as the plant you pot in it. Also, make sure your pot has a hole on the bottom to ensure drainage. Lindsey put a cloth over the hole to keep dirt from draining out.

What to plant? Since the front porch is fully shaded, and it’s February, my pots need a hardy evergreen. Boxwoods are the nearest thing to no maintenance. Perfect for someone who was seriously willing to use fakes.

We went to a nursery with a 1 year guarantee to find 2 of similar shape and size.




These looked pretty close in size to us. Aren’t boxwoods pretty? I like that they are dense and green year-round.

I wanted to plant ivy at the base of the boxwood to cascade over the top of the pot. I love this look, but it takes a while for the ivy to grow. For the ‘instant effect’, we bought hanging ivy to use.




Next we filled the pot with MIRACLE GROW fertilized soil to 8” from the top of the pot



Then, we placed the boxwood in the pot and covered it with soil




Lookin’ good so far.

Next, Lindsey had the awesome idea to cut each basket of ivy into 2 pieces. We planted pieces of ivy around each of the boxwoods for our finished product.

TA DA!


****************************************************************


Impressive or what??  SO good looking!! Are you in business yet??

And can you believe that front door??

We will sucker her into more guest posts invite her back for more house tours.

Until next time, Thank you for sharing Brad!


*Wanna guest post? Would love to have you!



 

1 comment:

  1. Love the guest writer! Brad - the pots look awesome! I need to send a pic of the pots my mom did for our front porch. I agree, it totally brightens up the place!

    ReplyDelete